Substitute teachers must complete an application process and attend an orientation/training session. Orientation sessions for substitute teachers are conducted periodically throughout the year and applicants will be notified by mail of the date and time of the meeting. Applicants are required to possess a high school diploma, GED or equivalent. Applicants must complete an ABI/FBI background clearance through the State Department of Education and apply for an Alabama Substitute Teacher License.
Substitute Teacher applicants must provide the following documents along with the Monroe County Board of Education Substitute Teacher Application:
- Proof of diploma or equivalent
- Copy of current Drivers License and Social Security Card
- Completed Federal I9- Employment Eligibility Verification
- Alabama State Department of Education Substitute License ($30 fee payable on online or with a money order payable to the State Department of Education)
- Statement of Cogent fingerprinting payment ($46.90 fee) and prints captured print out. Fingerprints submitted to this office on a fingerprint card FROM ANY OTHER AGENCY will not be accepted. You must COGENT Systems and their digital scanners as a required by the State of Alabama Department of Education.
Once an applicant's fingerprints are clear, the State Department of Education will issue a substitute license. A substitute license will be valid for five years. It is valid anywhere in the State of Alabama.
ALL employees are paid on monthly (20 day pay period). Payday is generally on the last day of the month. Employees are paid via direct deposit. To set up direct deposit, employees must complete and turn in the Payroll Direct Deposit Form with an attached voided check or a typed letter from their financial institution to the Payroll Office. The Payroll Office will not honor any handwritten requests.
Please call the Central Office at 743-6000 if you have questions regarding this process.